Week 2 The Magazine Industry
Week 2 Jan. 30 An Overview of Magazines
What is a magazine?
Is the magazine industry dying?
CBS Interview with Lesley Jane Seymour, editor-in-chief of More magazine
Alliance for Audited Media Consolidated Media Reports
Case Study Assignment To Do List:
- Make contact with someone from your magazine this week.
- Try to set up an interview, tour or other in-person meeting with an editor or other professional from the magazine.
- Review the publication’s website.
- Monitor the publication’s presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Tumblr and other social media channels.
- Try to get current and past issues from a newsstand, a library, a friend who subscribes or someone at the magazine office willing to send you some back issues.
- Make a list of interview questions.
- Think about how you can get the most out of this assignment, particularly if you’re interested in interning, freelancing or working for this publication someday.
Remember, this assignment is due March 6, five weeks from today!
Magazine Pitch To Do List:
- Start thinking about a magazine you’d like to work on this semester.
- Consider a magazine you’d not only like to read, but one that there’s a need for. What niche isn’t being filled? What community isn’t being served?
- Think beyond simply content; consider opportunities for creating events, developing audience, attracting advertisers, even selling other products. You’ll need to come up with a magazine that’s financially viable, one that has multiple streams of revenue.
- Each student must do an individual pitch but you can start to think about who in the class you’d like to work with.
Your 1- to 2-minute elevator pitch is due Feb. 13, two weeks from today!