Week 4 Elevator Pitches
Week 4 2/13/2017
Quiz on Chapters 3 and 5
Today we’ll hear your elevator pitches for new magazines and then form teams for your magazine launch projects. Prepare to present a 1- to 2-minute “elevator pitch” for the magazine project you’d like to work on this semester. Your pitch should include:
- a working title
- a specific target audience
- potential advertisers
- outline of editorial content
- ideas for alternative streams of revenue (events, ancillary products, custom publishing, apps, e-commerce, etc.)
Then we’ll choose the best four magazines and form teams.
Once teams are formed we will go over the Final Project Assignment and roles and responsibilities for each team. In assigning roles take an inventory of your team member’s skills, traits, strengths and weaknesses.
Then begin to discuss magazine mission statements. Examples of magazine prototypes:
You’ll meet with your teams to:
1) Assign each person on your team to a position
2) Refine the working title for your magazine
3) Start defining your target readership and your magazine’s mission.
Clarify Your Magazine’s Mission Statement, WestGold Editorial
A good magazine mission statement:
- Describes the publication
- Defines how the publication is different from the competition
- Defines how the audience benefits from reading the publication
- Should be short and pithy (usually about 3-4 sentences)
- Captures the spirit and tone of the magazine
Examples of Magazine Mission Statements: